Jan 27, 2011

Too Dependent

So my laptop has been shutting itself off and there is a possibility that I may need a new one or spend lots of money to try and get mine fixed. While its down and shuts itself off while I try to use it I am starting to realize that there are things we have become too dependent on. How many of us can say we can live without the cell phone? I can't. I go through withdraw when Melissa gets deployed somewhere that she can't text, or if my phone dies, or when I leave it at home. The other night I had a small accident, drove into a snow bank and I didn't have my phone to call anyone and Tom's was dead. We had to wait for someone to come and help me out.

This past week I have been thinking about that we have become too dependent on technology and other luxuries. We cannot live our lives with these things. I think back to Biblical days, what would we do and how would we react if we need to live the same lives they did. Or even when our parents were younger. I know my mom didn't have half the things that I did, and I didn't have half the things kids today have. Sometimes I wonder if our dependencies on these things help fuel the attitudes of kids today. At the schools I go to half are listening to an ipod, some have psps out, all have cell phones. Kids don't need these things, and they fact that parents allow them to have them helps fuel the attitude and dependency.

I was beginning to think I will take a few days away from my laptop and ipod. If I want to listen to music I will find another way other than the ipod and Pandora. I will use a desktop for only certain things like checking email and writing blogs, no facebook. Maybe I'll start that in March ;D

No comments: