Jan 5, 2011

Don’t Believe Everything You Hear

As most of you know I have gotten a job and I have started it this week: monday was my first day.  Many people who have heard that I am subbing for the Pittsburgh Public Schools have told me horror stories.  I subbed (or rather subbing) at a school in Oakland, close to Carlow University and PITT.  When going to any school you never know what to expect; other than typical high school stuff and that is what I have seen among other things.

Monday I wasn’t given anything to do with the kids such as worksheets or review anything.  Nothing.  What surprised me is many of the kids in the classes I had were incredibly upset about it.  Some asked if they could do homework for other classes so they could be constructive.  Others complained that they weren’t learning anything new and voiced their anger about it.  The rest of the week the school staff including another math teacher helped get me things to give them to work on for the period, so that helped.

I admit I was a little weary about my first day especially with the school I am at.  I have heard many things from other people about the school, and I didn’t realize it was this one until I seen a friend  here.  While this school’s students may have a bad reputation or rather the city having a bad reputation.  I have seen normal teenagers trying to find acceptance, education, friendship, and more.  I think we are too quick to pass judgment.  People tell me to be careful because the kids in Pittsburgh schools are violent…I have not seen any more violence in the city schools that I haven’t seen in country schools.  I think people think “the big city” is a dangerous place with drugs , violence and alcohol.  Its the same wherever you go.  Can’t believe everything you hear.

No comments: