Jan 20, 2011

Finding My Voice

The past few weeks of me substituting I have learned several different things.  Kids while there are differences from when I was younger, there are similarities.  But thats not one of the biggest things I am learning.  I am learning to make myself known.  Someone who is soft spoken like I am can barely be heard among the high school, or middle school chatter.  Or when I did talk, I wasn’t heard.  That is changing.

I am learning how to speak up and speak out.  While I am still soft spoken, students at least acknowledge they heard me.  Whether or not they follow the instructions I give them is another matter.  Students are students and when they see a substitue we all know what is going through their minds….”no work” or “free period” kind of thing.  A lot of them don’t even respond when I take roll, until I began telling them that they don’t answer they are marked absent.

So all it took for me to speak out and be heard is to become a substitute teacher and somewhat yell at kids all day.  Although its kind of fun when kids don’t think I mean what I say until it happens, then they freak out lol.  :D

No comments: