May 19, 2011

Power In Relationships

I was reading “The Shack” and there are some things that he says that really stand out for me.  Different things about relationships with each other and our relationship with God.  One of the things he says is “Relationships are never about power, and one way to avoid the will to power is to choose to limit oneself – to serve.”  How often do we find it hard to serve someone else?  To do something for someone else above our selves?  I think a lot of the time we try to always have the power or the upper-hand so that someone else doesn’t hurt us.

When you are in a relationship there shouldn’t be a power-struggle.   You shouldn’t be trying to gain power over someone you love.  I think that could have been the problem in some relationships I had in the past there was a sense of power, hierarchy if you will.  There was always a sense of me being “below” the other person which is never good in a relationship.  Relationships are about equality even in relationships with God.  There isn’t a power system with God, though I know people think that there is.

What point is there in searching for power in any relationship but with one with God?  Neither has power over the other.  We should try to talk to God as an equal.  I understand God is well God and we fall short of His glory, but if we want a relationship with him we need to limit our desire for power over Him and strive to serve Him instead of trying to make it the other way around.

No comments: