Feb 28, 2011

Being Crazy

One of my favorite authors is Paulo Coelho.  He writes a lot of philosophical novels with one basic theme each novel.  Many even deal with things he experienced in his own life; he puts himself into his writing. Maybe that’s why I like him so much.  Right now I am reading his novel Veronika Decides to Die.  The theme in this one is Redemption.  Right now she is realizing things in her life that are worth living for.  She is discovering herself after she finds out she only has days to live, shortly after she tries to commit suicide.  Yes, after she tries she decides to live after being told she is dying of heart problems.

One of the first things she asks is “what does it mean to be crazy?”  I think that is a question we all ask ourselves sometimes.  What does it mean to be crazy?  Who is to say what crazy is?  I think it is a matter of opinion.  One person might say something and another person would say something completely different.  No one really knows what normal and crazy.  I could consider myself completely and totally normal but someone looking in could call me crazy or even insane.  Who is to say what that is.  What makes a person categorized as crazy?  What kind of test tells you that?  What kind of test measures the level of insanity a person may or may not have?

Sometimes people try so hard to be normal and not considered crazy, that they become boring and just like everyone else.  I like being different, some people think I am crazy but I think I am normal.  I am normal because this is the way God made me.  Sure there are things wrong, sure I have faults what human being doesn’t?  That doesn’t make me or anyone else crazy.  So…let your inner crazy out.

No comments: