Feb 16, 2011

Romance Novels

This week I am reading Night Play by Sherrilynn Kenyon, one of my favorite paranormal romance authors.  While I was reading it (almost done) I got to thinking about how most romance novels depict the male lead (and supporting characters) as charming, handsome; gorgeous, sometimes mysterious beings, irresitable and so much more.  While I was reading I got to thinking are these men more than the men in our lives?  Really?  Is this what we want them to do be, act, and think?

While I reading some of the passages in the novel I kept thinking about Tom (no not the naughty scenes).  Some of the mannerisms of Vane reminded me of some mannerisms Tom has.  Like going to wipe a tear from my eye and ending up poking me.  The men in our lives aren’t “perfect” by far, no person is perfect.  But they are perfect for us.  I see Tom and all I can think is how perfect he is for me.  How could I want someone who is not the man I love?  Or even fantasize about someone else?

Sometimes I think sure romance novels give us something to “think about” or enjoy reading cause some of them do involve the relationship aspect of romance.  But on the other hand it hinders us because it creates an unrealistic idea of men and what the “perfect” man is.  To each woman her perfect man is different just like to each man his perfect dream woman is different from anothers.  Maybe we should stop reading the novels and try to create our own romance story.

No comments: