Nov 21, 2011

Anime USA

This past weekend Tom, Brandon and I went to Anime USA in Arlington,Va. We had such a good time, it was probably one of the best conventions that we have attended. It was partly because we volunteered and got to experience some things that other people didn't. After all the regular con-goers got their autographs and pictures with the voice actors, we got to get ours, so instead of standing in line and waiting, I still got to meet the actors I wanted to met; including Micah Soulsod. There were panels that were fun to attend, concerts that were amazing (some were not as amazing) and I got to talk to random people.

While at the convention I came to a small realization. I was able to talk to numerous random people whether they were standing in line and I was the "line starts here" girl or just random people we seen cosplaying awesome cosplays. We actually made new friends from talking to them throughout the day and then in line for various voice actors during the last day. But the big part is that I stepped out of my comfort zone and talked to various people I didn't know. That is the biggest part of my social anxiety I struggle with. I have a hard time talking with people I don't know, but I felt so at ease talking to everyone as if I had known them for years. It felt like a weight has been lifted and I wonder if I can talk to people at an anime convention, why can't I talk to people in normal situations? Why is it so hard for me to talk to someone I don't know?

No comments: