Mar 7, 2011

Taking risks

Throughout our lives we are presented with various opportunities.  Alot of the time we by pass those opportunities because we are afraid.  But what are we afraid of?  Failure? In Paulo Coelho’s book Veronika Decides to Die one of the characters says the we “don’t take the first step, perhaps for the fear of being called insane.”

I think too often we are afraid of what other people will think of us if we do something that is unexpected or considered risky.  I know I have heard people ask me “Are you crazy?” simply because I decided to be a substitute in Pittsburgh or that I am living in Pittsburgh.  We pass up so many opportunities to better our lives because we are afraid of what other people would say or that they would consider us crazy.  we worry too much about what other people think about our actions, as if other people control what we do and how we act which shouldn’t be the case.   I wonder sometimes how many great opportunities did I miss out on because I was worried about other people thought.

But if we don’t take risks how will we break out of our comfort zones?  How will we grow as people if we stick to things we know and refuse to do anything out of the ordinary simply because we are afraid of what other people would think?  I think in order to grow and learn new things about this world and ourselves we need to step out and take that first step without worrying about what other people will think of us.  Where would we be if other people didn’t take a risk?  Think about it.  What are you missing out on because you were too afraid?

No comments: