Mar 15, 2011

Selfish Friendships

So I was reading my dear friend Terry's comment on my last post and his comment got me thinking. He said "The ability to forgive a friend shows you remember what the foundation of a friendship means instead of having a "what have you done for me lately" attitude." Too often that is the attitude we have towards our friends. When a friend asks for a favor, how often do we respond "you owe me"? Why is that no matter who we are around or what we are doing we think of only ourselves? Isn't the point of being someone's friend is to be there for them when they need help? Shouldn't we be willing to lend that helping hand without asking for anything in return?

I know I definitely had some friends that are selfish and made me feel like they were trying to figure out what they would get out of helping me or even hanging out with me. Those are the people that when they get hurt no amount of apology fixes it because THEY got hurt, never mind how the other person in the friendship felt. Yesterday I talked about forgiveness within friendships, and Terry said a lot that goes with what I said. Being able to forgive a friend is understanding we are human we all make mistakes and need to forgive each other. We would want to be forgiven if we make a mistake with a friend right?

It all goes with the selfishness of some friendships. They hold onto the grudge and fester on their own desires and wants that they don't even think about how their actions affect their friends, and whether or not they will lose said friends. Friendships are so much more than what we can and cannot get from them. I think some of us needs to stop and re-evaluate our friendships...I might be doing that.

No comments: