Sep 25, 2008

Christlike Quality

As some of you know, Todd and I have been reading through The Purpose Driven Life together. Granted there are times when we don't read because we get preoccupied with other things, though we are trying to become more disciplined in reading it more often. If you have read the book before, you know there are questions at the end of each chapter. The question for chapter 26 got me thinking.

What Christlike character quality can I develop by defeating the most common temptation I face? Throughout the chapter Rick Warren talked about how our temptations could make us grow closer to God. The thing is I am finding a hard time trying to answer that question. I think one of the qualities I can develop through my temptations is patience. I have found lately that I get aggravated with some people to quickly. I see that I have been getting better at being patient with mainly those I love.

I see the people I have the least patience with is my family, and that really does bother me. Patience is one of the fruits of the spirits and I would love to develop it more. Rick Warren said: God uses the opposite situation of each fruit to allow us a choice. I have decided when I find myself starting to get aggravated, I'm of course going to stop and pray to God for help, the strength to not get aggravated and angry, but to have patience with those I love, because I don't think getting angry and aggravated with each other shows that I do love them deeply.


What are some of the temptations in your life, that can help you develop Christlike character qualities? How can you grow in Christ because of your temptations?

No comments: