Feb 18, 2009

Prayers

Last year or so I went to a Cancer Treatment Centers of America seminar about counseling those who have been diagnosed with cancer. One of the things that Rev. Percy McCray said really made me think, and it still makes me think. What he said was "We think we can manipulate God with our prayers." I think too often we think we make God answer our prayers. We think we can make what we want to happen simply because we pray to God about it. Other times people would try to bargain with God, something like "If you allow me to have this job I will go to church more" or "I will give more" We will say things we think would make God answer our prayers the way we want them too.

We think simply because the Bible says "ask and ye shall receive" that simply because we ask for it then we will get it. We don't think that God will provide when it is in his time and according to his will. Simply because we want something doesn't mean that we will get it, or that it will happen. We cannot manipulate God into providing what we want simply because we are praying about it. I think we as Christians need to realize that our prayers are asking God for help and guidance, not demanding him of things or a tool to barter with. Prayer is a way to communicate with God and keep our relationship with him strong and grounded.

No comments: