Jun 20, 2011

Appreciations

We have no right to ask when a sorrow comes ‘Why did this happen to me?’ unless we ask the same question for every joy that comes our way.”  -- Irene Bargmann

I came across this quote somewhere I actually forget where but Irene makes a strong point.  We are so quick to say “why me” when something bad happens but when something good happens do we say the same?  Of course not.  We act as if it is about time something good happens.  We are very conceited and prideful that we think we deserve every good thing.  There are times I wonder why me with some good things.  Such as my relationship with Tom, and my family.  How did I get to be so lucky have good relationships with them?

How did I get to be so lucky to find an awesome house with an awesome landlord?  Too often we take so many things for granted that happen in our lives.  We are constantly expecting to have something good happen in our lives.  When bad things happen we ask “why does all the bad things happen to me"?” or say “my life couldn’t get any worse.”  Chances are there are ways life can get worse and we need to appreciate what we do have and appreciate when something good comes our way and say “oh wow, I didn’t expect this, I wonder why it happened.” 

I think I am going to try a test, and I hope some other people will try it with me.  Instead of wondering why bad things happen to me, I will accept them, and then in tern instead of expecting something good to happen to me I will wonder why and not take it for granted. 

No comments: