Aug 28, 2010

Choosing

There is a quote in Broken Open that I found interesting and made me stop reading for a little bit.  This book has the habit of doing that and I like it even though its making me take forever to read it, but I digress.  The quote says: God or Spirit or Creator or insert name here, wants us to go down into the dark waters, but also wants us to come up to the light…We can choose darkness, fear, addiction, and despair.  We can choose light, hope, meaning and joy.

Sometimes we do choose the fear, addiction and despair without realizing it.  We think we are getting away from our problems by hiding them or hiding from them.  I think too often we expect things to tide over and just be done with and we will be okay.  We never think that it is our decision that brings out of that pit of despair.  We are the ones who make the difference in our own lives, we are the ones who begin to build back from struggles, strife, and all kinds of hardships that life throws at us.  We tend to find things that help us through those times of tribulation.  For example I use writing and photography to choose light and hope.

Sometimes we need to go through those times of darkness and despair, but we go through them because they help us see what we need to do to find the light.  We are made to make the choice, to choose what we want for our lives and a lot of the time we make the choice to struggle and be well miserable.  We are too engulfed in our pain that we don’t see the doors that open into the light, hope and meaning.  Sure I know in life I am going to struggle with things, but now I am making the choice to fight through it and get across the dark waters to the shores of light and happiness.

No comments: