Nov 6, 2009

The Past

Many times a lot of us hold on to our past experiences, we let them rule our lives and what we do and how we react to different situations and sometimes different people.  We do things the only way we know how, and I think sometimes when we do things that specific way or another way, it makes things harder.  We hold people to certain expectations based on our past and sometimes sure it’s good, but other times it just does more damage than good.

There are times when our past teaches us things.  Sometimes its how to properly handle a situation, other times it teaches us to rely on God more, other times…we learn to deal with thing in a negative way whether it is lashing out at the people around us, or lashing out at ourselves.  I know people who do both; and I admit in the past I lashed out at myself…my one tattoo covers the scars.  But through time, and through like situations, we learn different ways to deal with things.

One of the most important things we need to remember in dealing with our pasts and the hurts other people have caused us is that the people around us now aren’t the same.  Sometimes we will get hurt its inevitable, but other times there are people who generally care and wouldn’t do anything to hurt us.  That was a lesson that took me a little time to learn.  It was hard to realize that not everyone was going to hurt me, leave me, or abuse me in some way.  Its hard to get out of that mindset, but it is something that needs to be done in order to find the true happiness we all seek.

No comments: