Feb 5, 2010

Opportunities

I am watching “Evan Almighty” and there is a line in the movie said by Morgan Freeman who plays God. “When you pray for patience does God give you patience or the opportunity to be patient.  You pray for courage does he give you courage or the opportunity to be courageous.  When you pray to grow closer as a family…does it happen or does God give you the opportunity to grow closer.”  That’s not word for word, but the gist of what was said.  You get the idea though.

God gives us the opportunity to learn the things that we ask for like courage, patience, strength.  We learn them through the opportunities God gives us.  I wanted strength and I was diagnosed with cancer, I gained strength through it.  There are other things as I look back when I wanted patience, courage, strength, wisdom.  While I didn’t get them right off the bat God gave me opportunities for them to grow.

God doesn’t give us the things we want right away.  He gives us the opportunity to learn the things we need.  We don’t realize God is giving us these opportunities when He hands them to us.  We need to pay attention to the opportunities we have in life, and what we pray for, you never know God just may be trying to give you what you want and need.

No comments: