Feb 22, 2010

Changes In Life

The other day my brother and I were shopping, and we were in this one store that 10 years ago we would have been bored out of our minds.  On this day we both were talking about how nice things they had for houses and what we would like in each of our homes.  How short those 10 years were but they changed both of us in many different ways.  One thing is that we do not fight like cats and dogs anymore haha.

Looking back on my past I realize where I have gone wrong, when I should have taken risks and when I shouldn’t have.  I learn from my past, and I see how they have changed me.  For the better.  I admit I am not the naive teenager I once was, I have grown in many different ways and see life in a different light than I did back then.  I want some of the same things but in different ways.  I have had more experiences in that time, but despite those experiences I still think I would have changed.  I mean if I never had cancer I still think I wouldn’t be the same person I once was.

As we grow we learn new things and our viewpoint on the world itself changes.  We begin to think about things that are bigger than ourselves, sure we think more on God and our purpose in life, but we also pay attention to the news, we are effected by world tragedy like what happened in Haiti.  I know I am effected by Darfur though few people know about it.  When I was a teenager, I don’t think it would have had the effect that it does now.  I wouldn’t have wanted to hop a plane and go to Darfur: the most dangerous place in Africa right now.  I would have wanted to help and tried to find different ways, but now…its different.  Maybe its because I went to the Holocaust Museum or read so many books.  But my heart is different in so many ways not just to human suffering.

Things that were once important to me don’t make sense, the way I felt about myself doesn’t make any more sense.  Sometimes it feels like my heart is softened, but hardened at the same time.  At one point that wouldnt have made sense to me but now it does.   Time does change things…

No comments: