Dec 31, 2008

Relationships

I started to read the novel "The Shack" by William Young. I wasn't sure what to expect but I am beyond happy that I started reading it. The point where I am at, the main character Mack is talking to the Trinity. At one point I think it is either the God figure or Jesus figure that says this about relationships that made me think...he said: Relationships are never about power, and one way to avoid the will to power is to choose to limit oneself - to serve.

The context of that comment was that Mack was amazed that the three could have a conversation without one trying to be the boss. I think too often like Mack in the story thinks God is the boss of the Holy Spirit and Jesus, but that isn't the case. But that quote made me think of not only my relationship with God, but earthly ones. In a relationship with God we don't want to have power over God, but there are people that do want to try and have power over him. They want God to do the things they want and how they want it. They try to mold God into something he isn't. So to avoid trying to have power over God...we serve Him. We go out and do the things that he wants us to do...we listen to him and be obediant.

As far as earthly relationships, what good does it do to try and gain power over the one you love? That turns into what would feel like a controlling relationship and honestly no body wants to be in a relationship like that. Nate and I were talking the other night and he said something that made me think and I agree with: he said that a relationship is a partnership. I agree with that because that means one person does not have power over the other, we're equal in our relationship. That is how we should view our relationship with Christ: a partnership.

No comments: