Mar 5, 2012

Work Rant

There are things at every job that get on our nerves, things that make your skin crawl and wonder why some people do the jobs that they are doing. I ccannot really go into too much details about some of the things that happen at work because of confidentiality of my job. But most of you know that I work with children of various ages, and I simply love it. Even if there are days when I think I cannot continue to do it. But regardless, one of the things that annoys me and drives me insane is the people who are supposed to have the best interest of the child at heart, don't actually have it. There are people who have their own agenda and don't care who gets stepped on in the process even if it is a small child.

I have teachers who don't really teach and expect the kdis to know things when in reality there is no way they would know it. And when they do do something to "teach" the kids it is basically "here is a word, write it" when the kids don't even know how to write yet. Punishment and reward systems are a joke and not consistant. I have seen parents who walk away and basically let me "baby sit" their child when in reality I am an avocate and supposed to be showing these parents how to "listen" to their child's wants and needs. How can I accomplish that when the parent is sitting on their butt watching TV or talking on the phone when I am there?

I am glad one of my families is amazing. They honestly show what is important to them and fight for their son's rights and things he deserves. They are interested in my opinion and what I think would help their son improve in some of the skills that he is lacking. They listen to what I have to say and what their son says even if he isn't saying it the words we are normally used to saying. They learn and try to learn how to speak the language their son does because of his disability. They help me see why I do the job that I do. Why my heart is in this line of work in the first place. I just pray I can make as big a difference in my other client's life as I am in my other client's.

No comments: