Mar 6, 2010

Weeds

Paolo Coelho has become probably my favorite author right now.  I am reading a collection of his short stories and there is one about weeding.  He starts off talking about his weapon and his prey and then the doubts he feels..what if the weed is just nature’s way of trying to survive and how can we call it a weed simply because we don’t want it in our gardens.  But what I want to talk about is what he said at the end of the story….When something unwanted, undesirable comes into my soul, I pray that God will mercilessly pluck it out.

I have thought about this statement ever since I read it a few days ago.  We all have things in our lives that are undesirable and need to be plucked out the way we do weeds, but sometimes we tend to be too afraid to pluck them out.  We come up with one reason or another to keep them there instead of saying just as Paolo said…God pluck it out any way you need to.  Do not have mercy on the weeds in my soul.  They are undesirable by you and I.  Take them pluck them, burn them with your purifying fire.

I know a lot of times people tend to point out what someone else is doing, the weeds in someone else’s soul.  I know a few people who have done that to me.  What we need to do is take an inventory of ourselves.  Look to ourselves and see our own weeds instead of that of other people.  I think we look over our weeds and are maybe even afraid to say we have anything that needs to be plucked out.  But it needs to be done, and it needs to be done on a daily basis.

No comments: